Saturday, October 24, 2015

Saturday Step By Step - Shabby Chic Art Journal Page

Hi Peeps

Georgie here with a Saturday Step By Step for you!

I've been loving playing in art journals recently so I thought I do a 'how to' on how I do a layout for my pages, and in particular, this shabby chic page:



So, without further ado...

(Please excuse my lighting, for the images below, where I'm set up to get messy has quite poor lighting)

Step 1
Using heavy watercolour paper, washi tape the edges to secure the paper as it will want to warp with all the moisture. Then apply some random stamping, this helps to create depth.


Step 2
Using a stencil apply some texture to the page.


Step 3
Apply splashes and drops of colour, then knock back with a white spray.


Step 4
Cut some strips of paper and some lace, and add to the page. Here I use Glossy Accents, this is the one glue that has never failed me.



Step 5
Punch out some leafy texture, I used the Laurel Leaf by Tim Holtz, then embossed with white embossing powder.


Step 5
Make a bow, then work out it's placement, with a flower but don't glue down just yet.


Step 6
Grab some other embellishments, anything can be used that you can get your hands on. Here I used a wooden element and some metal pieces. Give this a chance to dry a little before going over with a coat of gesso.


Step 7
Whilst waiting for the paint to dry, I created the charm. I gave this a few coats of gesso and fussy cut a Maja Design butterfly to go inside.


Step 8

Spray some colour again, using the same ones as before, then knock back with gesso and white spray again.


Step 9
After all the layer have dried add all the pieces as laid out above, add the leaves and then splatter some of the sprays to tie it all in. Then carefully remove the washi tape. Voila, ready to be stuck into your journal.

Here are some close ups in much nicer natural light:


Although the washi tape is quite garish, as soon as you peel it away it changes the feel of the page.




I added some Stickles to the centre of the flower and then added a button. 


Here you can see the beautiful shadows and texture of the stencil, creating some added interest to the page.


The metal embellishment just tucked underneath.


Here you can see some of that initial stamping, so even though it looks like you're completely covering it up, you'll be surprised at how little bits peek through.


The butterfly charm peering through and giving the eye something else to focus on other than the flower.


Finishing up with another view of the page. A list of products is included below, hope you enjoyed this post today and thank you so much for stopping by.

Big hugs
Georgie
xxx





22 comments:

  1. Oh Georgie, I am completely in love with this journal page! A fantastic step by step too! The embellishments are just layered to perfection, I adore this!!! You are the queen of shabby chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, the washi tape had me worried for a moment but now I really love the results! Beautiful soft subtle effects with all the texture and wonderful textiles. The colors are really fab too. Great work, Georgie. The step out is so helpful!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful page! Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! LOVE the washi tape trick to keep the edges clean. Fabulous design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely piece, love the delicacy of the colours and your design. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a peaceful but stunning group of colors Georgie. This piece just speaks "contentment" to me. Soft, subtle, lovely. j.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful journal page Georgie, perfect in every way. Great to see your creative process in all the stages and I love these G45 stamps.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My job has just dropped, this is just absolutely gorgeous - the stamping, the stenciling, the colours, the embellishments - everything!! So, so beautiful. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant Georgie!!! It's amazing to take this look inside your creative process and see how you build up the design/layers before adding colour. Thank you so much for sharing. Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's certainly helpful for a novice such as myself to get so thorough guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Georgie that is gorgeous and wonderful and lush! Thank you for sharing how you created this - I will try and have a go with what I have but I love your page - you are one clever lady Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing your process, Georgie! I even felt like I was peeking over your shoulder! What a lovely color palette for a beautiful page! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing your process, Georgie! I even felt like I was peeking over your shoulder! What a lovely color palette for a beautiful page! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning page! Love your little charm and loved reading your tutorial! Thank you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic step by step and a stunning result. I love the framing effect created by the masking, as well as all the intricate dimensional detailing.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Georgie ... .this is absolutely beautiful. Love the texture and color here. I so appreciate the stepxstep here. I would love to try something like this. You really have a wonderful gift for visual balance and focus. Love it!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love this very creative project. The colours and layout are so beautiful. Thank you for the step by step, this will be really helpful x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much everyone for your really sweet comments :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous Georgie, thanks so much for sharing the steps you used to create this amazing journal page, it is just lovely! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing the step by step. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete