Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday Focus - Dylusions Ink Sprays

Hello, it's Cec here and today I am presenting the Friday Focus.  It is all about Dylusions Ink Sprays and for the next week Linda will be offering them at 15% off their already discounted price.  Just pop over to The Funkie Junkie Boutique and click on the Friday Focus button on the top bar to make your selection.

This product comes in a wide variety of colours and they are quite bright and vibrant , which at first thought may not make you think vintage or shabby chic but stay tuned and I will show a trick that will convince you otherwise.


First though, I will show you how I made this art journal page, which shows that I also have a funkie side.

  
First I used some Glue and Seal to glue two pages together in order to give it a bit more strength and to try and prevent warping.  I think next time, I might glue 3 pages together.  I did not seal the page I was working on but you could because a smoother surface allows the ink to run more.  I also did not spray the page with water first but that too will allow the ink to run.  Below I will show you why I didn't want a smooth surface to start.  Once the page was dry, I randomly spritzed Lemon Zest. Dirty Martini and Vibrant Turquoise on my page.

Instead of mopping up the excess with a paper towel roll as many tutorials show, I mopped mine up with a sheet of cheap card stock.  Then I re-sprayed my art journal page to fill in the blanks and mopped some more up with my extra sheet.  Only once I had enough coverage on my art journal page, did I "dry" it with the paper towels and set it aside.  Then I spritzed some water on the my kraft sheet where I had overspray and mopped that up on my extra sheet so I didn't waste anything.



Next I used stencils to add some interest to my background.  The first one was to remove colour rather than adding it.  I laid the stencil down and spritzed some water through the stencil and then with the stencil still in place, I blotted it dry with the paper towels.  I did this in opposite corners.



Next I used a different stencil to add some Translucent Embossing Paste.  Once this dries, it leaves an embossed design that is shiny and see-through so you can see all the variations in your sprays.


Finally I did some traditional stenciling but using Archival Ink since it does not react with water.  Tip:  Use some Rubbing Alcohol to clean the Archival Ink from your stencil.  I used this bars stencil and one with teeny tiny dots.


Before I started to embellish my page, I did more experimenting with the sprays.  I used some glossy card stock and sprayed it randomly as on the left and then spritzed it with water before I dried it.  For that one I used Vibrant Turquoise, Lemon Zest, Dirty Martini and Crushed Grape.

I sprayed the one on right with Crushed Grape and Bubblegum Pink after I spritzed the card stock with water and you can see the colours ran together.  I also made another one with Bubblegum Pink and Lemon Zest, which gave me some orange to work with.


Many of the embellishments were made from the extra sheets I sprayed and many were made by drawing through stencils with an ultra fine black pen and then fussy cutting them out.  This method was used for the branches, the leaves, the sun, the small orange flower and the little pink flower.


To make the red flower, I glued an old book page to a sheet of scrap card stock and then punched it out with a Marvy Uchida punch that I have had for ages.  Then I inked it with some Archival Ink.

The little purple flower was cut with the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die.  The circle flower was made with a couple of punches with the yellow layer punched from more of the book page card stock and inked with some Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink.

All the flowers have little white dots that I added using a white gel pen.  Most of the flowers are popped up with some foam dots and I have added a variety of buttons for centres.  The flower stems are strips made with my cutter and edged with a black Copic marker.

The large butterfly was stamped onto one of my sprayed sheets using Jet Black Archival Ink.  Because it was stamped on glossy card stock, you must heat set it before you try to cut it out or it will smear.  The little butterflies are punched from another Marvy Uchida punch. 

Finally I made the sentiment on the computer, cut it out, made a doodled box around each word and inked each piece with some Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

Now for a vintage/shabby look from the same bright sprays.


As I mentioned earlier I tried not to waste anything so as I went along, I not only mopped up excess on my scrap card stock, I also mopped some up on one of the big manilla tags that Linda carries.  Next I sprayed it all over with a light coat of White Linen Dylusions Ink Spray, which immediately calmed down the colour and made a fantastic background for something more vintage - and frilly.


I glued a piece of purple card stock on the back of the tag before I embellished it so I can use it for a card in the future.  The only other thing I did to the background was to stencil the dots with some Olive Archival Ink.

Next I added a strip of Venise lace that I inked with some Vintage Photo DI.  The little girls are stamped from a Darkroom Door collage stamp that I was given and then fussy cut.  I coloured them with some Victorian Velvet and some Dusty Concord DI.  The sentiment is stamped from a Wendy Vecchi stamp set and inked with Dusty Concord DI.

The hearts were hand cut from Tim Holtz Grunge Paper.  Both were inked with Victorian Velvet DI and then I added a layer of Wendy Vecchi Crackle Embossing Paste to the large one and some gems from the dollar store.

The butterflies were cut from the book paper card stock with a Martha Stewart punch and then inked with some Tumbled Glass DI.  The flowers came from my stash and I added a little wire swirl.  The pink fibre is also from my stash and then I added a couple of loopy bows made from burlap string and topped it off with a button.

I hope these projects will inspire you to pick up some Dylusions sprays and create.

5 comments:

  1. Seriously love both of these Cec!!! The vibrant journal page positively shouts Spring to me and the softer tag shows how adaptable these spray are. Awesome work. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you knocked me over with this one, Cec! Who knew you had a funkie side 😊

    Those bright colors have always scared me, but you have made me want to have a go with the Dylusions! LOVE both of your pieces, especially your lovely flower garden! Super Friday Focus column this week!

    Hugs,
    Lidna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cec, you are totally awesome!! I adore both your projects, and I especially love how you were able to soften the bright tones into a shabby chic masterpiece! An awesome Friday Focus!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... Both so lovely... Fabolous such a great difference it makes depending on color choices. But guess my fave would be the vibrant one.
    Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. Great way not to waste a lot of ink on the paper roll.
    Hugs from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Cec I love both of your projects and reading about your exploration into Dylusions. Fantastic ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete