Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday StepXStep

Hi friends, Linda here today with a Saturday StepXStep post.  I have made a grungy chic art journal page. At least I think that's what I've made. I've been very slow in embracing art journaling, but I finally decided that I needed some forum for all the playtime pieces I have made. This piece is made on an 4.25x5.5" piece of card stock.  

I started by inking up my background by smooching a Worn Lipstick ink pad on my craft sheet, misting it with a mister bottle and then also adding a bit of Heirlook Gold Perfect Pearls mist to the mixture. I didn't mist with much water because I wanted some intensity of color which I did get. Plus I love the splotches of gold mica that the Perfect Pearls leaves. Once I got my reinker mix on my craft sheet, I blotted not dragged my paper through it.  
Next I created a large heart stencil from a piece of thin cardboard because I didn't have a large enough heart stencil for my design.  I sketched it in pencil and then cut it out with an X-acto knife.
Using a Prima stencil, I applied white Wendy Vecchi embossing paste to the heart which was centered on the sheet.  I taped it down with masking tape because I didn't want any movement to spoil the design.

Once dry, I sponged the embossing paste with Worn Lipstick distress ink and then again with Vintage Photo.  The Love definition from Love Struck was stamped second generation in the lower left corner.    
Did you see how Tim Holtz added some rub-ons to his tag and then sanded them to give a worn look? Well, I guess this is a practice makes perfect scenario because I put down the word "original" and it looked great. Then I tried sanding it with sandpaper from my sanding grip but I guess I sanded too heavy because I sort of smeared. If you know what I did wrong, please let me know. If I ever try it again, I'll use light short sanding stokes.  
For my main focal image, I have 4 layers of hearts stacked, including the texture paste one.  I trimmed the scalloped edges off this doily, misted it with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls and when dry, sponged the edges with Frayed Burlap.   Next is a white card stock die cut heart stamped in Potting Soil archival ink with a Wendy Vecchi script stamp.  I sponged the edges with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink.  This heart was also misted with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls.  
I topped it off with a Venise lace heart appliqué plus a small tri-bud appliqué, both of which were hand painted with a mixture of reinkers.  If you look closely (double click the image for a close up), you will see that I have added several small sentiments using Remnant Rubs.

I wanted to do some heart stamping, but there wasn't time to create a brand new piece so I stamped the 'doodle' style hearts directly onto the page.

The "To My Valentine" sentiment was stamped in black archival and clear embossed, then sponged with Vintage Photo. And that was a wrap.

Thanks so much friends of Frilly and Funkie for visiting us today!



These supplies were used to make the project above and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutiqe where Ranger/Tim Holtz products and most other brand-name products are always 20% below MSRP.



15 comments:

  1. Love the texture contrasts and stamping/colouring with your stacked hearts Linda. A great entry into the world of journalling. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a great artwork! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project Linda, great way to create your own stencil shape from cardboard. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journal page has turned out beautifully, those hearts are stunning. It is no consolation but when I did my Tim tag this month, sanding the rub ons had a similar result to yours and I used a clean sanding block. I think it just the nature of the beast and I don't think either of us did anything wrong (I hope!). Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this step by step - going to pinch some ideas from this Linda - love it! Thankyou! Hugs Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This journal page is beautiful, Linda! I know what you mean about art journaling but it is a vehicle for lots of techniques and keeping all the art work together. This is a great way to get started. Your page is beautiful and I love the textures on the hearts. I think the rub on looks good with the ink smeared behind it. I know that's not the effect you were going for but it doesn't look that way to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the style Linda, beautifully grungy chic hearts, great way to create the texture.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a gorgeous stencil - and I love how you've layered the other hearts with it. Beautiful delicate colours, and altogether a delicious page!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning page Linda! Love the layered heart, just perfect! The delicate pink colour is so pretty too. A gorgeous shabby chic creation, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda this page is gorgeous. I love the stacked hearts. I'll be ordering the lace ones. Also, I like the smeared rub on. I'll be keeping all of my cardboard from now on. Great way to reuse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and delicate layering, using some super techniques. This is such an exquisite vintage page with a marvellous aged look; I love it! Julie Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, this piece is truly frilly and funky (in my book). The layers are beautiful with all the different textures of lacy goodness and I love the funky hearts stamped at the top. You never cease to amaze and inspire me with your creativity. AND I have most all of the products you used, thanks to your shop! Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, as usual, you took my breath away. I opened your email and was mesmerized, reading all the details immediately. I love this beautiful, sentimental, vintage-y, frilly, gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous, Linda!! I love all the techniques you used to create this beautiful piece! You have given me so many ideas. Now I can't wait to get in my craft room and start playing! Thank you for the amazing inspiration!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete