Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Focus - Strip Dies

Welcome to today's Friday Focus ! It's Sue here and today I'm focussing on strip dies. When I first saw the product for today's Friday Focus I thought I'm not sure I've got many of those.......


Then I found all these ! If you've not used these dies before they are a long thin Sizzlit die which will cut through paper and thin card. They won't cut through Grunge Paper like the larger Sizzix dies. 


As these dies are longer than a normal die you will need a longer cutting plate like the above.



I thought I'd show you how to make a shabby flower and I've used the Tattered Flowers strip die and Kraft Glassine paper to cut several flowers.


I then painted the flowers with acrylic paint. I dried the paint and because of the Kraft Glassine the wax melted and leaves a lovely finish. 


I then layered the flowers up making sure there was quite a small one in the centre secured by a brad.


I then screwed the flower up quite tightly, the Kraft Glassine is strong so it can stand some rough treatment!


The reason a small flower is needed in the centre is because the petals are used to cover the brad. I saw this over on the lovely Laura's blog and thought it was a brilliant idea and so simple !


I cut lots of swirls from the Festive Greenery die and painted them with acrylic paint too. These make great embellishments for all of your projects.


This is the final card that I've used the flowers and the swirls on. I've also used the Ticket strip die too, which is great as the tickets are perforated so give the rough edge when you separate them.


 In the below project I've made some more flowers using the same technique and I've also added a little metal bead in the centre.



On  the below card I used the Tattered Flower strip die and dipped the flowers into UTEE.


I hope you've enjoyed this look at the strip dies and remember that they all have 15% off !


7 comments:

  1. Love how you have used these dies here Sue. Do you know if they are thin enough to be used with a Grand Calibur? It would be amazing if they could. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What delicious shabby flowers - and that altered frame is simply glorious! Love the strip dies... my collection is fairly comprehensive!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic makes Sue, specially love that deep red altered frame! Great tutorial on those flowers too, I'll give that a try for sure. Just one question, those lovely swirls you used, which die are they from? They don't seem to be part of the Autumn Gatherings.... at least mine does nt have a swirl on... Would love to know as I really like the look of them.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, I could sit here for ages and look at your gorgeous makes! I love the flowers and swirls on the first piece, the frame is stunning and those UTEE dipped flowers are fabulous - every one is a WOW! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing projects, i love these dies! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three projects are wonderful, thanks for showing us your process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue these are all so gorgeous and I love your flowers! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete